Compost-tall-canIn April, 2012, Deb Markowitz, Secretary of the Vermont Agency of Natural Resources, said: “Even in Vermont, where we take such pride in environmental stewardship, we are throwing out more garbage than ever.  Vermonters generate more than 600,000 tons of garbage every year, or about two tons for every Vermont household.  We have to rethink our approach to waste!”

  • Vermont currently recycles only 36 percent of its waste, while over half of the remaining 64 percent is also recyclable. Food waste is the #1 component of municipal garbage.
  • Composting one 5 gallon bucket of food scraps offsets the greenhouse gasses produced by burning 1 gallon of gas.
  • When decomposed in a landfill, food scraps produce methane gas in contrast to composting food scraps which produces carbon dioxide.  Methane is 21 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.
  • When you compost with TAM, you are helping to keep organic waste, the primary component of trash, out of landfills and incinerators. You are also reducing atmospheric pollution and greenhouse gas emissions. The waste you compost with TAM is recycled to renew our soils with no harmful byproducts.
  • When a tree falls in the forest, do we haul it to the landfill? No! Left to decompose on the forest floor, it helps to form rich soils that nourish the trees of the future. It’s time for us to rethink and “green up” our approach to waste, and choose which world we want to leave for our children.
  • Natural compost makes the best fertilizer. Depleted soils don’t support healthy plant and tree growth, are more likely to erode, and retain less moisture during drought. Healthy soils foster root growth and support beneficial microbes that are important for the entire food chain.
  • In mid-March, 2012, Vermont passed The Universal Recycling of Solid Waste Act which makes composting mandatory throughout the state. It banned all recyclables from landfills by July 2015, yard waste by July 2016, and all organic materials, including food scraps, by 2020.
  • This composting facility is funded by TAM Inc. (not the town or taxpayers) and helps to fulfill the regional need for organics recycling.